UWM Research Assistance Fund (RAF)
The Research Assistance Fund provides small grants (up to $2,500) for conducting and disseminating research and creative work. The awards are intended for specific, short-term needs. Expenses must be incurred within a year of the award date.
- UWM faculty and staff who conduct research and are employed at least half-time.
- UWM faculty and staff who are not the Principal Investigator on a current UWM Discovery and Innovation Grant (DIG) or Advancing Research and Creativity (ARC) award.
- Co-applicants are not allowed.
- Administrators with positions at the dean level or higher
- Those in the TTC Post Degree Training job family (e.g. post-docs, research associates, research interns)
- Those with uncommitted start-up funds of $20,000 or more
- Those who are on notice of non-retention or who have accepted offers at other institutions
- Visiting scholars who are not UWM employees
Additional Application Restrictions
- Applicants may submit only one request per cycle.
- Those who were funded between July, 1 2022 and June 30, 2023 must wait until July 1, 2024 to apply.
- Those who receive an award between July 1, 2023 and June 30, 2024 must wait until July 1, 2025 to apply again.
Examples of Eligible Expenses
- Conference/workshop/exhibition fees (remote or in-person) and travel to these events where you are presenting your research, artistic, or curated cultural works
- Conference/workshop/exhibition fees (remote or in-person) and travel to these events where you have an official administrative role as an officer or conference planner
- Subvention fees, open access fees, page charges, etc. Note that publications that result in revenue will require a Royalty Sharing Agreement. Contact your Divisional Finance Officer for more information.
- Updating webpages to disseminate results
- Materials and supplies, user fees, and purchase of services for use related to a research project.
- Participant incentives
- Specialized software
- Non-capitalized equipment (items that cost less than $5,000 per unit or system) for use related to a research project
- Hourly graduate and undergraduate students for assistance related to a research project
- Equipment service and repair if related to a research project
- Travel to conduct research
- Travel for official role in professional organizations
- Hosting a regional research meeting
- Proposal writing assistance where subject expertise is needed
- Consultant fees for developing an evaluation plan required for an external grant
- Course releases, academic-year salary, summer salary, sabbatical salary.
- Curriculum development.
- Support for service projects that do not have a research component
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until funds are exhausted.
- Unless additional information is required, applicants will be notified of funding decisions within 6 weeks of submission.
- Application submission well in advance of a specific event date is strongly encouraged.
- All award recipients must submit a short report (up to one page) on the outcomes of the funding.
Compliance with policy
- All award recipients must follow UWM and UW-System policies, including but not limited to those for travel, procurement, and hiring.